Monday, April 19, 2010

Farmeceuticals

Point of correction from I think yesterday's post...Leo is on FloVENT, not FloMAX. Flomax is some sort of I'm-a-man-and-I-pee-too-much-and-need-help-for-stopping-and-starting whereas Flovent is a low-dose steroid inhalent that helps open up Leo's airways and lungs to aid in his breathing. I called it Flomax in the hospital today and the nurse laughed at me. It's ok, I was laughing at me too. Oh drug marketing.

It was a pretty quiet day in the NICU today. Leo's just hanging out on the Vapotherm. We're hoping they start to ween him off of it, possibly as soon as tonight they may turn it down. The nurse even said tonight that it's feasible he could be ready to go down to the SECOND FLOOR(cue choir of angels)in a couple of weeks. I'm not feeling as optimistic but that would be super sweet if it happened.

We've also been told to start getting little things handled - finding a pediatrician, getting the carseat installed, bringing in blankets, etc. It's odd that in the span of one five minute conversation your frame of reference can go from "my kid's going to be in here for a very long time so there's nothing really for me to do right now" to "gosh we probably should get started on these things because he's going to be home before we know it!" That's a good frame of reference to be in I must say. As long as it doesn't create unreasonable expectations and therefore disappointment. Will keep it in check.

I brought a blanket home today for the dogs to get a whiff of their brother. Bonus, they didn't try to eat the blanket! Hurray!

Happy Monday all...I think it's leftovers tonight...Gyros out of the roasted lamb from Saturday. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Caitlin, I used mike's google because mine is impossible.
    Sounds hopeful that Leo is getting closer to getting all his needs met by you and Jay. He is a true miracle and will continue to progress with all the great care he gets. I am looking forward to your shower and getting to see the little man again.
    Hang in there, you are the best and soon you will be looking back in wonder and awe at everything you three have survived. God has his hand on Leo and both you and Jay. Keeping you in prayer as always. Love ya, Mom XO

    ReplyDelete