Saturday, May 1, 2010

A light

I almost don't want to write it down. If I say it out loud it might not happen. But, even the nurse practitioner was talking about it today so I think I can start to believe it. Leo might be graduating from the NICU this week. "Second floor material in a couple of days," was how she put it today. After nearly six weeks in the NICU we might actually have our first light at the end of the tunnel. Today they were talking about getting him out of his isolette and into a crib. Maybe by tonight when we go back. Twice a day boobfeeding sessions were suggested. Talk of how to manage this and that when we take him home. It's very hard to wrap our heads around all of this talk of progress, next steps. When you're overwhelmed by the day to day details of just trying to be sure he's stabilized, the thought that he's now possibly ready to move on to the next phase is crazy. But in a good way.

Did I mention my truce with the stupid lactation ladies? Well, I've decided they aren't so bad now...except the one with the crazy eye make-up, she's just nuts. But there's a really nice one who helped me out with Leo's initial nursing session earlier this week. She was normal, not crazy, and very knowledgeable. So, lactation ladies, I say unto you - thanks. Maybe you're not so bad. See, progress on all fronts. Go me.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for progress sister! What a bunch of ggrreeeaaattttt news! Your head must be just spinning. In a good way of course. Little Leo is just giving it his all, isn't he? Bless his little heart.

    Can't wait for more updates. Perhaps you can give them to me in person in the hospital next week!?!?

    And, can you take a quick picture of the eye makeup lactation lady please? Just a quick snap with your iPhone will do... dying to see this woman. Congrats on the truce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best May Day news ever. I declare May Leo's month and you the most wonderful Mommy.
    I must say, I wouldn't mind a peek at the L Lady either. Hugs, XO

    ReplyDelete